Episode 97 The Secret Life of Fat with Sylvia Tara
“Poor Fat! So reviled, so shameful, so unloved. It betrays our gluttony, our lack of self-control, our low self-esteem, our abject unworthiness.”
Our basic understanding of fat is from low fat diets, to the fat around our middle that we can’t lose. What if everything we knew was wrong? What if your basic understanding of why you can’t lose that fat is wrong? Sylvia Tara’s book “The Secret Life of Fat” goes into detail about what fat does, how it works, and how we can conquer it.
Topics Covered In This Episode:
- How did you get involved in writing about fat?
- What is fat anyway?
- What is the purpose of fat?
- How do we get fat in our bodies?
- What are the different types of fat?
- Is the regulation of fat only down to voluntary control, or are there other factors?
- What’s leptin?
- How does fat affect our hormones?
- How does fat affect our bones?
- Why is it so hard to lose fat?
- Is food the only thing that makes us fat?-viruses and bacteria
- Do genes affect us?
- Do women tend to be fatter than men?
- How does fat change as we grow older?
- What are xenoestrogens and how do they contribute to weight gain?
- What can we do about fat?
- How can we eat to manage our hormones?
- How does intermittent fasting help?
- How can we protect our microbiome?
- If we have problems with food/overeating, how can we combat this?
- What can people do for weight management?
- What is the future of obesity treatment?