Episode 49 The Restore-Our-Planet Diet with Patricia Tallman
With increasing awareness of the damage to the environment Patricia Tallman chose to address these issues head on in her book “The Restore-our-Planet Diet”. She discusses the consequences of our prodigious meat and dairy consumption, and a convincing case for a whole-food plant-based diet. She addresses actions you can take to mitigate climate change, water pollution, rain forest destruction, and water shortages as well as addressing health problems such as such as diabetes, obesity, cardiovascular disease and cancer.
Topics Covered In This Episode:
- What made you write this book?
- What has made you so passionate about the environment?
- What is climate change?
- What is an eco-footprint?
- What are the three main green house gasses?
- What made you realize that the meat and dairy industry were hurting the environment?
- Can you explain what damage they are doing?
- What is a plant based diet?
- Who chooses a plant based diet?
- Some people argue that we are designed to eat meat, what are your thoughts on this?
- What is “humane” meat?
- Does eating locally make a difference?
- Are there health risks to eating meat?
- How is eating meat related to cancer?
- How is eating meat related to cardiovascular disease?
- Some people argue that being vegetarian or vegan isn’t healthy, what are your comments about this?
- What health benefits are there from a plant based diet?
- How does someone ensure that they are eating enough protein?
- What is the recommended amount of protein we should be eating, and how much does the average North American consume?
- Is it possible to be vegan and athletic?
- Your book has a lot of recipes in it, can you tell us what your favourite one is?
- If someone is wanting to start changing how they are eating, what do you recommend that they do to do start?
- Is there a way that someone can get ahold of you or find your book if they have any questions?