Episode 104 The Hungry Brain With Stephan Guyenet
How do we get fat? How do we get completely out of control when it comes to food? In his book “The Hungry Brain” Stephan Guyenet explains the science of why we over eat and get fat.
Topics Covered In This Episode:
- What inspired you to write this book?
- What is the selection problem?
- How does our brain recognize hunger?
- How do we decide how and what to eat?
- How is dopamine related?
- Why is food so seductive?
- Is it possible to be addicted to food even though it’s a necessity?
- Are there certain kinds of food this is more common with?
- What is food reward?
- How exactly did we get hooked on processed food?
- How does the brain regulate appetite and body weight?
- What’s leptin?
- What’s the lipostat?
- How does insulin affect us?
- How is the hypothalamus affected by obesity?
- What is satiety?
- What happens when we are on a calorie restricted diet? Why do we gain more weight after?
- How does a person go from being lean to overweight or obese?
- How do genes play a roll?
- How does sleep play a roll?
- how do we outsmart the Hungry Brain?
- How can someone get more info/your book/website?