Episode 42 Statins with Mark J. Estren
Statins are the most prescribed drug in North America, and are often viewed as a miracle. When faced with the health consequences of high cholesterol, most people feel that they have no choice but to take the prescription from their doctor. But what if the side effects of this “miracle” drug far outweigh the benefits? To be informed about this drug, and the cholesterol it is affecting, tune in to listen to Dr. Mark J. Estern, as he discusses his book “Statins: Miraculous or Misguided?”
Topics Covered In This Episode:
- What brought you to write a book on Statin drugs?
- What is cholesterol?
- How important is it for us?
- What are the different types of cholesterol?
- What does “high cholesterol” mean?
- What are the risks of high cholesterol?
- What are statins?
- How do they work to reduce cholesterol?
- Who is prescribed statins?
- What is the controversy around statins?
- What are the side effects of statins?
- How does someone know they are experiencing a side effect of their medication?
- Are there risks if someone’s cholesterol is too low?
- How do statins affect diabetes?
- What is The Primary-Prevention Controversy?
- Are there other ways to reduce cholesterol aside from Statin drugs?
- What lifestyle changes can people implement to reduce cholesterol?
- Are there side effects of the drugs that people should be aware of?
- Can you explain how niacin can affect cholesterol?
- Are there any side effects of niacin?
- Can this be used with statins?
- What is red yeast rice extract?
- What are plant sterols?
- How do omega fatty acids help cholesterol?
- What are questions people should ask their doctor when they are prescribed statins?
- How can anyone reach you if they have any further questions?