Episode 47 Paleo Diet: Primal Body, Primal Mind with Nora Gedgaudas
"Just what genuinely constitutes a healthy diet?"
Applying modern discoveries to the basic hunter-gatherer diet, Nora Gedgaudas shows us how our modern diet leads to illness. In her book “Primal Body, Primal Mind” she reveals how our grain based, carbohydrate heavy diets are causing weight gain, cravings, mood disorders, cognitive problems and metabolic syndrome. With a step-by-step guide, recipes and meal recommendations, her book helps the reader out of illness and into wellness.
Topics Covered In This Episode:
- What made you decide to write this book?
- How do you feel the modern diet is hurting us?
- How important is digestion for our health?
- How is the gut related to immune function?
- Can you explain the problems with grains?
- What is gluten?
- What are symptoms of gluten sensitivity?
- How are gluten sensitivity and celiac different?
- Soy was considered a super food for a long time, can you tell us about it?
- Can you talk a bit about good and bad fats?
- What are good fats?
- What are trans fats?
- What is the cholesterol myth?
- How important is Vitamin D?
- What is a ketogenic diet?
- How do carbohydrates affect us?
- How are carbohydrates related to blood sugar?
- How is leptin related to all this?
- How does all this relate to diabetes?
- What changes should someone make to they don’t get caught in this cycle?
- Is it possible to get too much protein?
- What recommendations do you have for exercise?
- Are there supplements that can help in this process?
- Are there other lifestyle choices you usually recommend?
- Your book is called Primal Body, Primal Mind. What can people do to help brain health?
- What do you see work well for depression and anxiety?
- Do you have any last words of advice for anyone who wants to get started on this journey?
- Do you have a website where people can reach you?