Episode 15 Music: Medicine For The Soul with Jennifer Buchanan
Our society is putting less and less emphasis on art and music, but more and more we are realizing how important they are. Jennifer Buchanan is highly regarded in her field of music therapy and is joining us for this riveting episode on the importance of music in healing. In her own words: “I have witnessed how music can stop babies from crying and make great men start. I have seen it open doors to communication for someone unable to speak, and silence someone who normally has words for everything. There are countless opportunities for music to make a difference – It can and does save healthcare dollars, but its effects go far deeper than its monetary value. My mission is to help everyone understand what music is capable of doing when we allow ourselves to truly tune in to its potential.” – Jennifer Buchanan
Topics Covered In This Episode:
- How did you get involved in music therapy?
- What exactly is music therapy?
- What does your company do?
- What happens during a music therapy session?
- What tools/instruments do you use in the sessions?
- What conditions do you treat with music therapy?
- What are some exercises you use?
- How does music help our health?
- How can music therapy help those with disabilities?
- How can it help Alzheimer’s?
- How can it help depression?
- What does music do for our memory?
- What results do you see?
- Can you give us an example or anecdote of a change you have seen?
- How can we use music to help us?
- If music is so important, why is funding being cut?
- What brought you to write your book “Tune In?”
- What can someone do if they want to incorporate music into their lives to help themselves?
- How can someone get a hold of you if they want to try music therapy?