Episode 37 I Will Never Forget an Alzheimer's Story with Elaine Pereira
“I Will Never Forget” is a book that tells the heartbreaking, touching story of a mother’s journey through dementia. Elaine C. Pereira tells the story of her mother, and her decline with illness. Dementia is often feared as people get older, but the true impact of this disease can be misunderstood until you are in the middle of it. As her daughter, and later her caregiver, Elaine C. Pereira is discussing this story with us to help bring more awareness and help others find their way if they are in a similar situation.
Topics Covered In This Episode:
- What brought you to writing a book about your Mom’s journey with dementia?
- What was your relationship like with you Mom?
- Can you tell me what your Mom was like when you were growing up?
- What was she like as a Mom?
- She had some health problems in her 40’s with Meniere’s Disease. How did this affect her?
- What was your Mom like as a grandma?
- Can you tell us a bit about your Dad?
- How did his illness affect your Mom?
- How was your Mom when he passed away?
- You had a lot of tragedies in your family in a short period of time. Can you tell us about Wendie and Jerry?
- How did this affect your Mom, who also lost a son before you were born?
- How did this affect you?
- When did you notice that there was something wrong with your Mom?
- Was it hard for you to recognize your mom’s decline?
- What support did she have from where she was living?
- What made you decide to move her elsewhere?
- How did she cope with the move?
- During this journey, as she was having so much difficulty, was there things you had to learn to help her and communicate with her?
- At one point you sat down with a doctor who thought she had dementia not Alzheimer’s, can you explain the difference for us?
- As your Mom’s health declined, what was the hardest part for you as her daughter?
- For others who are finding themselves in a similar situation, is there any advice that you can give to them on how to cope?
- What was the end of your Mom’s life like?
- What impact did this illness leave on your family?
- Is there any last words you can leave for anyone in a similar situation?
- Is there a way people can contact you or find your book if they want to know more?