Episode 89 Human Heart, Cosmic Heart with Thomas Cowan
Heart disease needs no introduction. We know that we need to exercise and eat well to avoid a risk of heart attack. But what if we don’t understand everything the way we thought we did? Dr. Thomas Cowan discusses his book “Human Heart, Cosmic Heart” in this interview.
Topics Covered In This Episode:
- What inspired you to write this book?
- What got you interested in medicine?
- What does the heart do for us?
- What do you mean when you say the heart isn’t a pump?
- What causes heart disease?
- What is cholesterol?
- What clogs arteries?
- How does bypass surgery help us?
- What is a heart attack?
- What is the autonomic nervous system?
- What’s the parasympathetic nervous system?
- How do these affect the heart?
- How does medication such as beta blockers help prevent heart attacks?
- how can we recognize inflammation in our heart?
- how can we decrease inflammation in our heart?
- what's the first thing you ask a patient when they come to you?
- how does food help heart health?
- what do you mean by "cosmic Heart?"
- what's love got to do with it?
- How can someone get ahold of you/your book?