Episode 182 Your Brain on Parasites with Kathleen McAuliffe
Unbeknownst to us, there are thousands of parasites threatening to manipulate us or the creatures around us. In her fascinating book, “This is your Brain on Parasites: How Tiny Creatures Manipulate Our Behaviour and Shape Society,” Kathleen McAuliffe is sharing what is going on. From ants to sheep, from rats to cats, from ticks to humans, these parasites are controlling behaviour and leading us to a more conducive environment for them. Tune in to learn more!
Topics covered in this Episode:
- What inspired you to write this book?
- What are parasites?
- Can you tell us about the parasite that has ants sacrifice themselves to sheep?
- Are they more common than we think?
- Is there an estimate of how many people are infected?
- How do we get infected?
- Can you tell us about toxoplasma?
- Is there a link with schizophrenia?
- What changes do people see when they are infected?
- How does our microbiome affect us?
- How are neurotransmitters affected?
- How do these things change how we make decisions?
- How can we test for them?
- How can we protect ourselves?
- How can someone get ahold of you/website/book?