Episode 168 Pregnancy to Parenthood with Kate Rope
There are a lot of myths and misconceptions surrounding pregnancy and parenthood. Often suspecting parents are left with little information, and scrambling to sort out what is accurate and what isn’t. In her book “Strong as a Mother: How to Be Happy, Healthy and (Most Importantly) Sane From Pregnancy to Parenthood,” Kate Rope has addressed all the questions parents can have when expecting a child, and in the first year after birth.
Topics Covered in this episode:
What inspired you to write this book?
- What do most people experience when they first find out they are pregnant?
- How common are miscarriages?
- What can someone do to quell the anxiety of a last loss?
- What is the difference between normal anxiety about oregnancy and something that we might need professional help with?
- When is it safe to tell others about the pregnancy?
- How can we go about following the rules about what to eat and do in pregnancy?
- What are common mood disorders that can happen during pregnancy?
- What help is there for mood disorders during pregnancy?
- How do mood disorders during pregnancy tie into post-partum depression?
- How can women become more comfortable in how their bodies change as they are pregnant?
- How does sleep matter during pregnancy?
- What exercise is ok during pregnancy?
- Is sex safe during pregnancy?
- How can we talk to our partner about setting up a good team for co- parenting?
- How can someone prepare to breastfeed?
- What are some reasons someone wouldn’t breastfeed?
- How can someone prepare for giving birth?
- How can a new mom expect to feel after giving birth?
- How should bonding with the new baby feel?
- What if that feeling isn’t there?
- What does post-partum depression feel like?
- What can a new mom expect when they are trying to “get their body back?”
- How can a new mom make sure they don’t burn out?
- How can dad help a new mom to ensure she takes care of herself and isn’t experiencing anything she shouldn’t?
- How can a mom know she is doing her best?
- How can someone get ahold of you/website/book?