Episode 156 Dirt to Soil With Gabe Brown
“Regenerating Landscapes for a Sustainable Future.”
In an effort to save his own farm, Gabe Brown discovered a movement in farming that gave him hope. From a farm that was broken, he and his family nourished their soil back to health. His book “Dirt to Soil” is bringing this movement to life that instead of being sustainable, is an effort to be regenerative.
Topics Covered In This Episode:
- What inspired you to write this book?
- How did you get into farming?
- When you first started, did you use conventional methods?
- When did you decide to change this?
- What is no-till farming?
- How does this affect soil?
- Why is this so important?
- What are the five principles of soil health?
- What are cover crops?
- What is crop diversity?
- How did you know you had recovered your ecosystem?
- What changes did you make for your cattle?
- How are insects helpful?
- How can you improve water availability?
- How can you address nutrient cycle issues?
- How does someone decide on a crop rotation plan?
- Is there a farm land that your practices wouldn’t work on?
- What advice do you have for someone who wants to change their farming practice?