Episode 90 Craving To Quit With Judson Brewer
“In their quest for happiness, people mistaken excitement of the mind for real happiness.”
-Sayadaw U Pandita.
Discussing Judson Brewers book “The Craving Mind: from cigarettes to smartphones to love, why we get hooked and how we can break bad habits” this interview explores addiction in a new way. From cigarettes, to love, he helps people get to the root of their addiction using mindfulness techniques.
Topics Covered In This Episode:
- What inspired you to write this book?
- What is addiction?
- What is trigger-behaviour-reward habit?
- How can this shape behaviour?
- How do we become addicted?
- How do we recognize addiction?
- How does dopamine play a roll?
- What are craving triggers?
- What is addiction to technology?
- Is it possible to become addicted to ourselves?
- What’s an addiction to distraction?
- What does it mean to be addicted to thinking?
- How does this relate to depression?
- How can we relate to our thoughts differently?
- What does it mean to be addicted to love?
- What is the difference between love and being addicted to love?
- How do we get in our own way?
- how can we start to be mindful of our own addictions?
- How can we learn to just be with our cravings?
- What’s the difference between suffering and happiness?
- What is empathy?
- What is empathy fatigue?
- What is flow?
- How can meditation help us?
- How can someone get ahold of you/book/website?