Episode 25 Back In Control With Dr. David Hanscom
“Since the medical establishment is not set up to take a comprehensive approach to your care, it’s crucial to take your care into your own hands.”
-Dr. David Hanscom
Dr. David Hanscom is an orthopedic surgeon, who has discovered that surgery is not always the cure to pain. Chronic pain is debilitating, causing stress on relationships, jobs and anxiety and depression. After seeing that surgery didn’t always answer the pain problem Dr. Hanscom found other ways to work at the root cause. He began to implement a program to help his patients, which he has laid out in his book “Back in Control: A Spine Surgeon’s Roadmap out of Chronic Pain.”
Topics Covered In This Episode:
- What made you decide to become a surgeon?
- Can you tell us a bit about pain. What exactly is it?
- How does pain affect people’s lives?
- How does the medical system handle chronic pain?
- Who should get surgery?
- Do you find surgery helpful for back problems?
- How useful are narcotics for pain?
- What is Mind Body Syndrome?
- How important is sleep in pain recovery?
- How does anxiety affect us?
- How does anger affect pain?
- You talk a lot about victimization in your book. How does that relate to pain?
- What is “the Abyss” that you discuss in your book?
- Can you explain what the nervous system has to do with pain?
- Can you describe your DOCC program?