Episode 67 Agility at Any Age with Mary Derbyshire
It’s a common misconception to believe that with age comes pain and stiffness. Mary Derbyshire has dedicated her career and book “Agility at Any Age” to help us all develop and maintain balance, agility and movement. Using the Alexander Technique she helps seniors turn a life limited by pain, and open it to possibilities.
Topics Covered In This Episode:
- What inspired you to write this book?
- What does it mean, “Agility at any age?”
- What causes us to lose our agility as we get older?
- How does exercise help us?
- What is the alexander technique?
- How was this technique developed?
- How important is sitting?
- How can we sit properly?
- Do you have any tips for people who have to sit for long periods of time?
- Is there a proper way to go from sitting to standing?
- How does our jaw affect our posture?
- What does it look like to be “off balance?”
- How can we help our balance?
- What is The Alexander Technique Lie-Down?
- What does it do for us?
- How important is breathing?
- What does it look like to breath properly?
- What problems are common with walking as we get older?
- What does it look like to walk properly?
- How important is exercise?
- How can we make sure we exercise properly?
- How can people get started if they are hearing this for the first time?
- Is there a way that people can get ahold of you/your book/website?